1. Where exactly is Lios Mór?
Lios Mór is located on the grounds of Lismore Comprehensive School in Craigavon, County Armagh, in Northern Ireland.
2. How do I find out more about the schools that were involved in the project?
3. Who first took steps to preserve Lios Mór?
Joe Corrigan, the principal of Lismore Comprehensive School, came to the school in 1976 and soon began exploring the remains of the fort on the grounds. He researched Ordinance Survey maps and discovered that the fort was the only feature recorded on the maps as far back as 1964. After a contract archaeologist examined the site, Mr. Corrigan and the Craigavon Borough Council’s Leisure Services Department cleaned up the fort by clearing vegetation, leveling and reseeding the central part, and installing a commemorative plaque. For more information, click here.
4. Where can I find out more about Irish ringforts and about what life was like here one thousand years ago?
- More detailed information about different types of ringforts in Ireland
- Chronology and uses of ringforts
- Ringforts in the Burren
- Topography of ringforts
- Life in early medieval Ireland
5. Can I connect with the Lios Mór project on Facebook and YouTube?
6. Where can I find media information about this project?
Click here for our press release.
7. How can I contact the people involved?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any comments or suggestions!